Monday 20 February 2017


The definition of "begging for mercy"
 (Sherlock meta by eugeniebatch)



["Am I the only person in this fandom who knows what it means to beg for mercy? I don't want to crap on anyone's pretty gifset, but merely saying 'please' is not begging for mercy. A person who begs for mercy is admitting that he is utterly powerless, usually in the face of authority threatening torture or death. You beg for mercy when you have no other option but to accept your fate. A dominatrix could be such an authority in a playful sense. If you want an example of begging for mercy, Irene does it after Sherlock guesses her password, when she says 'are you expecting me to beg?' He has the power then, she has none. She is begging for mercy, which he refuses."]

So, I found myself reading [this] from a blogger I used to follow and [...] this really annoyed me because I don’t think this person is right, so I need to express what I think.

First of all, does this person really think Sherlock is “merely” saying please? I mean, I’m quite sure he’s not saying it insignificantly, having into account the situation in which Molly is in.

Secondly, doesn’t this person think Sherlock is, in fact:

  • “utterly powerless” (he has no decision power here!) ?? 
  • “in the face of an authority” (does Eurus mean something to you?) ??? 
  • “threatening torture or death” (“her flat is rigged to explode”) ???? 

Lastly, doesn’t this person also think that, besides Eurus, Molly also has “all the power”? (although she didn’t even know it!). Sherlock is begging for mercy because she refuses to say “I love you”, and as this person wrote in the tags, “you beg for mercy when you have no other option but to accept your fate” (and in this case, he has no other option than accepting Molly’s fate because, by not saying those words, she’s certainly going to die!)

I believe this scene demonstrated us that a person doesn’t only “beg for mercy” when he/she is (actually) in front of an enemy or authority, but also when another person (who he/she cares about) is in grave danger.

Don’t you think so?

No comments:

Post a Comment