Friday 24 February 2017


Molly got her happy ending
 (Sherlock meta by sherlocked167)

I see a lot of posts saying Molly Hooper deserved better, poor Molly or Molly is such a weak character. Really, are they all watching the same show. So here I am trying my best to negate them.

I think she is the strongest and the most badass character on the show. You don’t need to be a consulting detective, an ex-army man, an ex- super agent, the British Government, a DI, the widow of a drug dealer or a dominatrix to be considered badass. Look at our sweet pathologist Molly, she dated and dumped Jim Moriarty (the Consulting Criminal) and she was so freaking casual about it.


She wasn’t scared or worried even after knowing who Jim really is, and can we please talk about how she casually calls him “Jim” , whereas every other character addresses him by his full name or Moriarty as they are all a bit scared of him. It’s still a bit unclear as to why Jim let her walk away unscathed even after “she ended it” (my Molliarty shipper heart has its own reasons though). Anyway this is just one of the instances to show that Molly is neither a weak nor a timid character.

Now coming to the ILY scene, a lot of wonderful meta is already written about it but I would like to add my two cents to it. Firstly, I think Jim Moriarty is the one who told Eurus about Molly because the Jim we all know ( come on he’s a genius) would take into consideration the various possibilities regarding The Fall. He would have considered the possibility of Sherlock going to Molly for help, as he knows Molly loves Sherlock and would help him regardless of what people say. I think Jim always planned for Molly to be a part of "the final problem".

Anyway coming back to the ILY scene, I don’t know if this was deliberately done by the writers or not but there is an important thing we tend to miss. John “ I see but I don’t observe” Watson thinks the coffin is for Adler and Mycroft “ I’m the smart one” Holmes thinks the coffin is for somebody who loves Sherlock, both of them are wrong because the person who is in the coffin doesn’t write their own epitaph or the engraving “I Love you”. It’s the person who buries them, in this case it’s Sherlock who has to bury Molly if she dies, who writes the epitaph. So the whole point of the scene is to get Sherlock to admit his feelings and say the words to Molly. He most definitely means it when he says it the second time because that is the look of realization of a man who has fallen in love for the first time.


Molly deserves to have her love and feelings returned by the man she’s always loved and that is exactly what happened in The Final Problem. Even Loo Brealey in a recent interview said “ After playing Molly for seven years it was great to do her justice and give her a good send-off if it is the end…” I think this means Molly got her happy ending and we all know what her happy ending is and more importantly with whom. So I don’t understand from where this ‘Molly deserves better’ posts are coming from.

My point being Molly got her happy ending and there is no need to take pity on her or call her weak. Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment