Monday 20 February 2017


My (respectful) thoughts on Johnlock 2017 and why John Watson does not deserve Sherlock Holmes
 (Sherlock meta by sherlolly-locked and penelope1730)

sherlolly-locked:

First and foremost, I will mention that I am an avid Sherlolly shipper but I have always had the utmost respect for Johnlock shippers (and the shippers of other OTPs in our marvellous fandom), but I do have some points I’d like to put forward to Johnlockers after watching [...] The Six Thatchers. 

John Watson is not a good person. 

Over the course of the series John Watson has proved himself deceitful, a sexist and a cheater. (Yes he loves Mary and Rosie but not enough to resist the temptations of a smiling woman on a bus who showed an interest in him).

Sherlock is an evolved individual, who has only in recent seasons began to grow affection for his fellow human beings. He has become close and loyal to those he loves. He is logical and steady and unique. He would never betray the trust of someone he loves.

After watching The Six Thatchers I truly believe that John Watson does not deserve Sherlock Holmes. 

(But this is just my opinion and I continue to have respect for those who ship them, as always).

penelope1730:

I’m not a Johnlock shipper, but even with what went down, I don’t think John is a bad person. He’s just incredibly human - flaws and all. He is as deserving as any other human being (in his position) who’s trying to figure things out in the best way he can. IMHO. His anger with Sherlock over Mary’s death, while not fair or just, stems not only from profound grief, but his own guilt and uncertainty. John made a decision to accept Mary’s past and focus on their future, without fully knowing or even understanding what that meant. As Mycroft pointed out to Sherlock, people with a history like Mary’s tend to “retire” early - permenantly. I had a feeling it was never going to end well where Mary was concerned. Sherlock did his best, even if he did continue to antagonize old lady [Norbury] longer than necessary. No one could have predicted that Mary would take a bullet for him. There were so many ways that could have gone down…Mary could have pushed Sherlock, John could have jumped in, British Security Services could have been more prepared…these were all split second timed decisions, with too many ‘What if’s’ left to wonder about. Both Sherlock and John have evolved & we know they sort it out later on. But, for now, I think John needs to grieve and, sadly, many times that includes blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment