Thursday 26 January 2017


Romantic or platonic, does it matter?
 (Sherlock meta by swjmart and writingwife-83

swjmart: There has been lots of debate about the "ILY" scene. Was it real, and if so- is it romantic vs platonic. I have been thinking- maybe it just doesn't matter. Lines are often blurred. Emotions come & go. Anyone in a successful long term relationship knows there is an element of CHOICE. Maybe that is what BC was talking about ? Sherlock hadn't chosen what to do with it all yet. They have a profound love but will he choose to take it to the next level of, commitment, physical intimacy, etc.

writingwife-83: I think you do make an important point, particularly with Sherlock. Because although we can now rightly say he is the most emotional of the Holmes children, he’s also still a bit out of his depth in learning how to process those emotions and what to do with them. I definitely think that in canon he doesn’t know what kind of love it is yet. No question it was genuine and heartfelt, but that’s probably as far as he’s gotten by the end of what we saw in s4. I believe there is a romantic aspect to it, but it’s possibly not something he’s consciously admitted to himself. And yeah, then there’s the aspect of choosing if/how to act on it. I often imagine that if Sherlock realized he loved Molly romantically, he’d admit it to himself, but then decide that “it is what it is” and decide to try and carry on with life as usual and just work around it. I’d love to think he wouldn’t be able to last with that plan of course lol! But there we have the difference of the show and fanfic! XD

swjmart: Agreed ! So another question @writingwife-83 - can you explain Molly beaming after that intense conversation if things weren’t going forward to some degree - even in baby steps ? The smile to me hints towards sherllolly IF TFP is the last episode. Her smile is actually where we stand at the end. Imo there is no way Molly would be beaming if things weren’t “good” between her and Sherlock. Saying “I love you” changes things and I would think she would pull back if there was not at least some movement towards a relationship. However - if there are more episodes, they will probably gloss over the whole thing as per Moffat’s comments and we will be back to the never ending tension and angst…perhaps they threw in her beaming smile without thinking it through - though another person i message alot thinks Mofftiss are too detailed oriented for that to be the case. We may never know…

writingwife-83Well I think the real and true answer is that we may never know. And honestly I think that’s where Mofftiss want things to be when it comes to Sherlock and any possible relationship. BUT! Here’s my (what I’d like to consider level headed) take on things:

Yes, Molly is clearly happy. But Molly also knows Sherlock, and arguable better than most others on the show, partly because she’s so perceptive and also because she’s known him longer than some others. My point is that Molly would know Sherlock well enough to temper her expectations based on who he truly is. Would Molly make some sort of relationship ultimatum after she’s heard those 3 little words come out of Sherlock’s mouth, especially given the circumstances? I don’t think so. Would she even demand that he expound on his feelings and what they really mean? I think she probably wouldn’t. Yes, she’d feel him out and try to understand what he went through, though I think he’d give that to her without her prompting. But I honestly think she’d be gentle with him. Because I think she already got the feel from that second ILY that he meant it in one way or another. Think about what that would already mean to her and how precious that already is. I feel like she’d take that and smile at him and tell him it’s ok and that she’s sorry he went through something so horrific and she knows he’s sorry and she forgives him. Because first and foremost they’re friends. I mean this in the best way and hopefully it makes sense- I don’t think it takes a ton to make Molly happy. I don’t think she’s demanding or unreasonable. She’s firm where needed and she refuses to accept being treated wrongly of course, but she would never ask more of someone than they can give. And I think that’s what I’ve been so long winded in saying.

If Molly is happy with Sherlock at the end of s4, in my mind that means he is holding up his end of the friendship/relationship to the best of his current ability. Because Molly Hooper knows what Sherlock is capable of at any given moment, and she’d never demand more from him than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment