Sunday 5 March 2017


Wrong opinion about Molly
 (Sherlock meta by sherlollysnog and theleftpill)

sherlollysnog:

Fellow Sherlolly shippers and Molly Hooper lovers, I was wondering if I could get some help. Someone I know posted this about Molly-
“Molly hooper doesn’t do much of anything but whine about Sherlock not loving her back. And I don’t blame him. She’s BORING and a needy bitch. I’m just saying, I won’t be crying if Molly gets thrown in a woodchipper or something.” 
It’s 4am and I want to defend Molly but I’m tired and I can’t quite put in to words to this person to explain how wrong she is and I was wondering if someone could help me out?

theleftpill:

Well, first off, your friend is flat-out incorrect. I can’t think of any single scene - not even any line or moment - where Molly complains that Sherlock doesn’t love her. She accepts his rejections with “OK” and leaves; asks if he’s got a girlfriend; calls him out when he insults her. Yes she’s nervous, skittish, mournful and frustrated, but never once does she complain he doesn’t return her affections. In fact, quite the opposite; when faced with his emotional bullying she stands up even taller, looks him in the eye and does not once back down. The only times she complains is when he’s a shit to her. Rather justified, I think.

As far as boring, I disagree. She’s quiet, yes, and meek, but consider how her character has moved some major plot points forward. She introduced Sherlock (and us) to Moriarty. She helped Sherlock fake his death. Sherlock’s idea of her, his projection of her, helped to save Sherlock’s life. Molly has been the sole catalyst for some of Sherlock’s biggest moments of emotional growth. She very publicly reprimanded him for his “deduction” of her which compelled him to apologize without demanding it. Her “You look sad when he cant see you” pushes him to recognize his affections for John, and arguably even his capability for affection. Not very boring, in my book.

But while all of this directly proves that your friend’s point is factually incorrect, none of this will convince her. Because as Petra points out, she doesn’t want to know. She’s not looking for information or debate; she’s pushing buttons and looking for reactions. That’s all. It’s a waste of time to argue with someone like that. Publicly sharing your defense of Molly may sway some others reading this thread, but it’ll do fuck all for that person. And what does it matter anyway? Her view shouldn’t affect yours (since it’s completely groundless.) I wouldn’t be crying if she gets thrown in a woodchipper or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment