Friday 3 March 2017


How did Molly have Sherlock's coat?
 (Sherlock metaby writingwife-83)

Q: So, I have one question. in The Lying Detective, Sherlock told Molly that he hoped that she didn't forget his coat. How did she even have his coat in the first place? Does he leave his clothes at her flat because her bedroom is one of his bolt holes? I. NEED. TO. KNOW.

A: Mm, I like this ask! I think there’s a couple easy explanations for this, and frankly, I like both of them.

First, yes I think it’s super likely that Sherlock keeps clothes at Molly’s since it’s one of his bolt holes. He probably keeps a couple changes of clothes, maybe a couple of coats, maybe even some disguise pieces depending on the circumstances. And we know he’s “got lots of coats,” so he could certainly choose to stash them wherever needed so that he can always have one in a pinch. I will always like the idea of Sherlock keeping important things at Molly’s, so that’s a nice explanation.

Here’s another though! I also would like to think that Molly has a key to Sherlock’s flat. Granted, it could absolutely have been one of those things that he did selfishly back in the day, because we all know how he likes to demand that his friends run errands for him. But still, I like the idea that she would have access to his flat, seeing as he clearly has access to hers. What are the chances she doesn’t have a key? There’s likely only a handful of people that Sherlock would trust to have access to his flat and go in to get something for him, and what do we know about Molly? He has always trusted her! 

And in reviewing both options (and realizing how much I like them both) I’d have to conclude that both are true. I’d say that Molly has a key to Sherlock’s and he also stashes clothes at her place. Case closed!

No comments:

Post a Comment