Monday 20 March 2017


Thoughts On Molly
 (Sherlock meta by johns-posh-boy)

Let me put this out there, I LOVE MOLLY HOOPER. All I want for her is to move on from Sherlock and find some happiness. However, I’ve been feeling annoyed with Molly for awhile, and I think it started with her striking Sherlock for doing drugs in His Last Vow. 

Molly did not have the right to do that. Sherlock is a grown man who has the right to make his own decisions, even if they’re the wrong ones. Sherlock didn’t ask for her input. Not even John did, only for her to analyze his urine sample. You could argue that Molly is acting out of anguish that someone she cares about is hurting himself, but you didn’t see anyone else physically assaulting him. Not even John, who is closer to him than anyone in the world and is known for having a violent temper. If Molly truly cared that Sherlock was harming himself, she’d have tried reasoning with him. She didn’t even try to understand why Sherlock would do this. Instead she just wanted to act self-righteous and insert herself in Sherlock’s affairs.

Same with the “anyone but you” scene from The Six Thatchers. I respect that John is hurting right now and Molly sent Sherlock away per John’s request (that time she had the right to get involved), but she didn’t necessarily have to use the most hurtful words possible to make Sherlock leave. Even if she was quoting John. She could’ve been more compassionate toward Sherlock, if she “loves” him so much. Instead, I think that tiny part of her that resents Sherlock for not reciprocating her feelings, wanted Sherlock to feel even worse about the situation.

The problem with Molly is that she makes the same mistake normal people do when they’re infatuated with someone - they gain a sense of entitlement to that person. Even if that person has made it plain that they will never reciprocate their feelings. Sherlock owed Molly gratitude for assisting him in faking his own death, which he paid back by bringing her along on cases for a day. But beyond that, Sherlock owes her nothing, because Molly’s given him nothing, except unwanted attention.

Let me explain using a personal example:

In high school, I had a huge crush on this boy. I would have done anything to be his girlfriend. He was always very nice to me, but he made it clear to me that he’d never return my feelings. Still, I clung onto my feelings for him, in hopes that one day he’d wake up and realize that I was the one for him. It made him feel uncomfortable. Over time, my unrequited feelings turned into bitterness, and I acted antagonistic toward him, blaming him for my feelings instead of myself. I still wanted him, but a part of me despised him for not wanting me back. I knew I should just let go of my feelings for him, but I couldn’t. And I ended up estranging him from myself entirely. Looking back now, I wish I could have put my feelings aside, because I missed out on a potentially great friendship.

And that’s exactly what Molly is doing.

I didn’t write this to tear Molly down, because like I said, I like her a lot, and because she has great potential to be a strong character. But she needs to let go of her crush on Sherlock to be able to grow. (Also, Sherlock is gay, honey. I think deep down, you know that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment