Friday 1 August 2014


You do count: Why I love Sherlock/Molly
 (Sherlock Meta by lostwithoutmyconsultingdetective)

Since I did a ramble about how much I love Sherlock/Irene and deducing Scandal in Belgravia to support it, I figured I do the same for my other favorite ship, Sherlock/Molly. And since Molly is through out the series, I’ll examine the episodes she was in.

If you don’t support the ship, that’s fine. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. Please be respectful. So here we go.

Molly Hooper. I love Molly Hooper. She is adorable, smart, sweet, caring, and it was Molly herself who could see Sherlock better than anyone, even John. I relate to Molly more than I do Irene. Though Irene is a fantastic character (and I love Sherlock/Irene), it’s Molly I see myself in.

We’ve all been there, the whole unrequited love thing. And it’s Molly’s strength and hope that I want her to succeed in her love for Sherlock and Sherlock to see her as something more than just a girl.

Maybe he does think so and he is unaware of it? Love is something he is totally oblivious to but he shows that he cares in his own special way. I saw it when Irene Adler was his focus. And I’m starting to see it more when Molly is around, in small doses sure since Molly has few scenes and Irene had an entire episode about her.

Whenever Molly does something different, Sherlock notices and he announces it to her. It seems like he only does it to her too. I found that interesting. You see it in episode 1 (season 1) with the lipstick and episode 2 (season 1) with her hair being parted differently. When she removed the lipstick, thinking it was pointless, Sherlock actually liked it. Ok, the way he says it was a bit rude but in his own way, he just told her that she looked pretty with lipstick on. With the hair style, he was gearing towards more manipulative so he could see the bodies of the dead bankers just to prove a point sure, but when I thought about the lipstick comment, the more I thought that maybe he really meant the compliment but used it to his advantage at the time of the case.

In episode 3 (season 1), Molly meets Moriarty (of course, thinking he’s from IT) and tells Sherlock that they are dating. This attempt was a way to a) move on and/or b) make Sherlock jealous. I think it could be a bit of both reasons. But it didn’t quite work out that way. Sherlock saves Molly the trouble of getting her heart broken by Moriarty (thinking he was gay, not knowing he was the Moriarty) but accidently hurts her feelings in the process. The way he looks at her when she runs away upset was a little funny and sad. He has no idea what he did wrong and confused by her reaction, thinking he was helping her.

I have this feeling that Moriarty was cruel to Molly during their brief relationship. In episode 3 (season 1), when he enters the room, he places his hand on her back which for some reason makes me think he was a bit controlling. Even more so when he’s telling her where to meet later rather than have a discussion about it. In episode 3 (season 2), Molly mentions that they only went out 3 times and she ended it. I’d like to think that she noticed that Moriarty was not someone she wants to be with and was strong enough to get out when she could. She was able to escape Moriarty and that takes courage and strength, traits to look up to.

In episode 1 (season 2), Molly goes to Christmas at Sherlock’s flat. It’s here that Sherlock realizes her feelings for him. After all the cruel things he says about her and her present, once he sees that note, he is shocked, angry at himself, and very sorry. And I love that Molly, even though hurt and obviously wants to cry, she just smiles and says, “You always say such horrible things. Every time. Always…always…” And Sherlock’s apology to her was so meaningful, so true, that I think that was his first real apology to anyone, and it was to Molly, the one girl who cared about him since day one. And it was Molly Hooper that he kisses on the cheek, telling her “Merry Christmas”. Later on in the episode, she’s working on Christmas, helping Sherlock out with the whole Irene ‘death’. He actually tells her that she didn’t have to be here. She knows it. But she wants to be there for him, even if it’s just for a little bit. The way he looks at her just makes my heart break. He’s starting to see her a little better. Then later, when he’s checking Irene’s phone, he’s so distracted with Irene Adler that Molly starts to feel invisible again. You can just tell by the way she looks at him and looking down all the time.

And then there was episode 3 (season 2). This episode has my two favorite Sherlock/Molly scenes. The first being Molly deducing Sherlock. This really took Sherlock by surprise. She can see him better than anyone else can and it was this scene where Sherlock actually SEES Molly in a whole new light.

"Are you ok? Don’t just say your not, because I know what that means, looking sad when you think no one can see you."

"You can see me."

"I don’t count…"

Just look at his face when she says that. It’s almost like he’s saying “How can you think that?” And when she goes on to say that if he needs her, she is there for him, he is surprised and confused. Of course he wouldn’t know what to say to that. And after she leaves, he stares after her, seeing her more clearly than ever before. He’s realizing that he cares about her, how she has always been there for him when he needed it even if he didn’t know that he needed support. He’s always been alone before so it catches him off guard that someone could actually care about him. And it was Molly Hooper who could see him that no one else could see.

The second favorite scene of this episode is when he comes to her for help:

"Your wrong you know…you do count…you’ve always counted and I’ve always trusted you…You were right… …I’m not ok."

"Tell me what’s wrong."

"Molly, I think I’m going to die…"

"What do you need?"

"If I wasn’t everything you think I am, everything that I think I am… …would you still want to help me?"

"…what do you need?"

"… …You."

His voice shook, his eyes dilated and on the verge of tears. I still think the whole game with him and Moriarty was planned BUT I really do believe that he let his guard down with Molly. His name is going to be ruined, he has to leave everyone he cares about behind, and he has to go into hiding while the world thinks he’s dead. And it was Molly Hooper he comes to and breaks down with. Of course Molly would help him. He loves him so much. If she can do anything to help him, she would do it. So yes, I think she had something to do with the fall. And I would like to think that he would hide out at her flat and they learn more about each other. It’s a nice thought… …that’s what fan fiction is for right? Until the new season starts?


I think Sherlock really does care about Molly. He wouldn’t break down with just anyone (besides John). I think deep down, he does love Molly. I really want Molly to succeed. Molly Hooper is a great character, very relatable. How can you not root for her?

And that, lovelies, is why I love Sherlock/Molly.

There you go! My rambles about Sherlock/Irene and Sherlock/Molly are over. I hope you enjoyed the read. Keep calm and carry on, lovelies. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment