Tuesday 5 August 2014


What would Harry Watson's role be?
 (Sherlock Meta by Ivy Blossom)

Johnlocklives asked:

Hello! What do you think would be Harry Watson's role if she appears in the show? May she be some 'conductor of light' for John (and his feelings towards Sherlock)?? Thank you! Have a nice day.

Ivy Blossom:

To be honest, I’m surprised she’s not dead. We never meet Watson’s brother in ACD canon because he drank himself to death before Watson meets Holmes*, so this is all new and original from here on in. I think the way they updated that bit in the first series was pretty brilliant. The fact that she’s still kicking is interesting. But it’s impossible to predict what they’ll do with a clean slate of a character.

I have no clue what kind of role Harry might play if she made it into the script. I’m sorry they didn’t bring her to the wedding. Maybe her presence brings out a whole other side of John, and maybe that would have required her to take up too much time and space, I don’t know. Given that we’ve made it three series’ so far without seeing her, it’s possible she’ll never appear at all, just always be the disappointing but not unexpected absence. Which is telling in and of itself, really.

I’d love to see them centre a story on her, though, since she’s around. They’d have to build a character John would be unable to get on with, which is a real challenge, given who he does get on with. I used to think Harry must be his opposite, but it’s possible (and maybe even more likely) that she’s just like he is. We don’t tend to get on with people who are too much like us. It would be interesting if the things Harry does that annoy John are the very things that John is also doing without being entirely aware of the comparison. In that way, Harry would certainly make for an interesting mirror. John talking about Harry would be the equivalent of John talking about himself. They’re both, addicts, after all.

*I stand corrected! I was going off the top of my head, I was sure that was part of Study in Scarlett and not Sign of the Four! Mixing up my canons!

No comments:

Post a Comment