Tuesday 5 August 2014


Romance between Molly and Sherlock?
 (Sherlock Meta by Ivy Blossom)

Question:

As a hardcore Johnlock shipper, it can be a little hard watching this growing relationship between Sherlock and Molly, when it seems to come to romance. It makes me wonder if the writers are trying to open something up there. She's single now, presumably because she realized she's still in love with Sherlock. And with Jim Moriarty coming back, it's seems like that might be another way for her to come in and play a huge part, which is fine, I love Molly. Just not as a romantic interest. Thoughts?

Ivy Blossom:

Uh. My initial reaction to this is to head-tilt a little and ask if we’re watching the same show. I’m not clear why you think series three saw growth in a Molly/Sherlock romantic relationship, but subtext is subtext, and I have my pet lenses, so I won’t balk at yours! It genuinely hadn’t occurred to me, to be honest, but we all see things differently. I’m sure the Sherlock/Molly arguments are completely sound.

I think Molly being single now might herald more of a Lestrade/Molly thing than a Sherlock/Molly thing (since Lestrade asked her that deeply strange question upon meeting Tom about whether it was serious. Who asks questions like that while their SO is within earshot?!). I think, if they wanted growth in the Molly/Sherlock relationship, Molly would have been a) a witness to the Janine fiasco (ouch), and b) saying a teary goodbye on the tarmac at the end.

I think it’s nice to see Molly and Sherlock evolve in relation to each other. Molly is standing up to Sherlock a little more, and Sherlock is being more respectful and cautious with her. If we’re to understand solving a case as a sort of date (which is completely arguable the way John and Sherlock do it), Sherlock’s date with Molly is a heartfelt and fond failure. Sherlock can’t stop hearing John in his head, he calls Molly “John”, Molly doesn’t feel she can contribute to Sherlock’s thought process, and she knows with an increasing and heavy certainty that she isn’t the person Sherlock needs. If there’s romantic growth between them, I feel like it’s the well-drawn growth of Molly coming to understand and accept that no matter how much she loves him, Sherlock is not her soulmate. They are not the match she wants them to be. But that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have a role in his life. That’s the story I saw between Sherlock and Molly this series.

I’m very certain there’s a role for Molly in the future. She’s becoming an important part of the story. I can’t imagine it’s as a romantic interest, though. My two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment