Tuesday 5 August 2014


Janine and Sherlock: A relationship without sex
 (Sherlock Meta by Ivy Blossom)

Anonymous asked:

Hello I have read your meta about Sherlock discussing sex with Janine. What do you think happened in the bathroom then? they were both apparently (almost) naked, laughing, they were probably making out and Sherlock had to pretend he's really into it because John was listening. Also we know from setlock photos there was a scene with sherlock's bathtub (i'm not going to speculate why they cut it out).

Ivy Blossom:

Well this is easy. What happened in the bathroom was washing, not sex. Strangely enough, you can be naked in a bathtub with someone, and touch them with a lot of affection, and still not be actively engaged in anything either participant would label as sex.

On first watch, I absolutely assumed Sherlock had had sex with Janine. For a case, of course, but still. I was surprised when Janine complained about the lack of sex between them. What I wrote here is what I figured he must have said to her to make her feel and act like she was in a relationship that was sexual without it actually being sexual.

Sex isn’t just penetration, and I am not presuming that that’s all that Janine means (though it’s possible that she does, we don’t see it, so think as you will, obviously). If you read that post and thought I was talking about penetrative sex, that’s an assumption in your head, not mine. I think Janine touches Sherlock frequently and affectionately in the hopes of helping him feel comfortable enough to have sex with her in all the ways that can mean. Because that is something she clearly wants, and I think he would have had to tell her that it’s something he wants too, or she wouldn’t behave the way she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment