Tuesday 5 August 2014


Prognostications about season 4
 (Sherlock Meta by Ivy Blossom)

Anonymous asked:

I really enjoyed your analysis in your post about John not backing away. Since you seem to offer one of the best explanations of season 3 I've seen so far, I wanted to hear your prognostications about season 4, specifically about the future of Johnlock. Thanks and keep being awesome x

Ivy Blossom:

I am really not a prognosticator. I like to look at what’s there and talk about what I think I’m seeing, but I’m not really much good at taking that forward and predicting what will happen.

The only thing I’m really confident about is that Sherlock and John will always be a partnership. Since it’s a show about the relationship between Sherlock and John, and only incidentally a crime drama, I’m not very worried about Sherlock and John continuing to have a relationship of some description. Which means that there will never come a time when shipping them is impossible.

Shipping is always possible, after all (says the Harry/Draco shipper).

I suppose you mean the future of an on-screen romantic relationship between John and Sherlock? I genuinely don’t know. I think it’s perfectly logical for that happen. So far the tension in it not happening is pretty critical to the entire enterprise, which only underscores the centrality of it to the story’s core conflict.

As was laid out from the start, this is a story about how Sherlock goes from being great man to being a good one. John is the answer to how he’s going to do that. Loving John is how he becomes good, because trying to live up to John’s expectations is what motivates Sherlock to be a better human being. John is a broken soldier looking for his missing piece, and Sherlock is that missing piece. I suppose everything is debatable, but I think those two statements are pretty watertight. The resolution of both of their storylines rests with each other. What that’s going to look like is a wide open question, but that’s the only prediction I feel confident making.

No comments:

Post a Comment